The website has a great introduction to the BSA merit badge program.
Click here to view it.

Before beginning to work with a merit badge counselor or enrolling in a Merit Badge class, Troop 55 Scouts need to obtain approval.  To obtain such approval, Scouts should meet with the Scoutmaster for all Eagle-required merit badges, and their PASM for all other merit badges, to obtain a blue card.  Watch the Troop News for information regarding Summer Merit Badge camps as these are managed differently due to sheer volume.

Which badges first?  Some merit badges are targeted for different age groups.
For Troop 55's recommended sequence, click here.

Where, when, how?  Scouts at Troop 55 have a wide range of places and ways that they can earn merit badges.  Among these options are the following:


Venue When Procedure
Working directly with a M-B counselor Any time The scout simply contacts one of the Troop's M-B counselors for a specific badge (for the Troop's counselor list, click here).  The Troop's Advancement Chair can also provide a list of counselors from other troops if T-55 does not have a counselor for a specific badge.
Troop M-B classes in town A group of classes are usually started in Sep-Oct, and another group after Christmas The classes are announced by email and sign-up is at Troop meetings.  These classes usually involve work that is spread over several months.
Troop M-B classes at campouts One or more M-Bs are offered at most campouts The classes are announced by email and sign-up is at Troop meetings.  Some of these M-Bs are finished at the campout, but many have additional requirements to be completed later in town.
Summer camp

Usually two "merit badge" camps each summer, one before July 4 and one after Registration for specific merit badges is usually a month or so prior to the camp.
Merit badge fair The Twin Bayou District sponsors two M-B fairs, usually in Oct-Nov and in Mar-Apr Registration is through the Troop's Advancement Chair, and the deadline in usually three to four weeks prior to the event.
M-B classes sponsored by SHAC On special dates throughout year The classes require registration through the Scout Office or SHAC website, but sign-up is often coordinated by the Troop Advancement Chair.
M-B classes sponsored by other organizations Frequently, throughout the year Registration is done directly through the sponsoring organization, but approval from the Scoutmaster or PASM is required in advance.  The quality of these classes can be spotty and T-55 has no control over how these sessions are conducted.


Click on a link below for further information:

Adults - want to be a merit badge counselor for Troop 55?

An introduction for Scouts

Worksheets for various merit badges

A guide for merit badge counselors